Here is a list of what we have seen or learned today in Jerusalem:
- everything is built thanks to donations: universities, research institutes, memorials…
- there are more policemen in Jerusalem than in Tel Aviv.
- people are always controlled in the tramway (don’t forget your ticket!)
- for shabbat (resting day in the Jewish tradition), orthodox Jews wear bigger hats.
- some people really make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
- you have to bargain when buying souvenirs in the old city.
- men and women are separated on the Western Wall.
- you can visit a catholic church when hearing the muezzin‘s call to prayer.
- 10 minutes in Jerusalem worth less than 10 minutes in Tel Aviv: distances are shorter.
- even if you’re not Jewish, you have to wear a kippa to go to the Western Wall (for men only).
- during shabbat, you can’t eat before food is blessed.