Here is a list of what we have seen or learned today in Haifa:
- The average age of 1st year students at university is 25 (due to military service).
- The cost of living is higher than what we imagined, particularly in supermarkets.
- We are surprised we still have not seen any policeman or soldier in the street.
- Food seems to be very important in innovative companies (provide free food and drinks to make your employees more innovative!).
- After the military service, young people often travel all over the world, in Asia, South America, or anywhere else.
- Houtspa! It’s a Hebrew word to describe the Israeli people’s state of mind. It’s hard to translate. It’s a mix between courage, crazy and nerve.
- Road signs are written in Hebrew, Arabic and English (lucky us!).
The anecdote of the day:
Around 2,000 French people emigrate to Israel each year. And around 600 coffins travel from France to Israel each year. It concerns French people who decided to be buried in Israel after their death. And guess what? This is a very profitable business for some companies, since families often accompany the deceased to the funeral in Israel.